Langdell Hall roof, August 10, 2015
What’s the latest work going on up on the roof? Here’s what’s happening at the end of this month:
- Parapet masonry work from the aerial lifts will continue on the west sides of Langdell Hall at Areeda Hall and will continue daily until the end of next week. The aerial lift will be moving to the east sides of Langdell Hall by Holmes field for the week of August 24. The current plan, weather permitting, is to be completed with aerial lift work by the last week in August.
- Copper roofing is underway on Areeda Hall and on the Langdell Hall north and south lower roofs and will be completed by the end of next week.
- Copper roofing is underway at Areeda Hall and will be completed by the end of next week.
Check out the photo in this post to view the progress and contrast the shiny new copper over the Langdell North classroom area with the older green copper still on the main portion of the roof.
We have an update on our ongoing roof replacement project!
This weekend, probably on Saturday morning, the construction workers will be constructing a protective cover over the main entrance of Langdell Hall. There may be some disruption during the process, but we hope it will happen early enough to have minimal impact.
For safety, the new edifice will remain up for the remainder of the project, currently slated to finish in November.
Areeda Hall roof construction by Timothy McAllister, Research Librarian And Business And Corporate Law Specialist
Here are the latest status updates on our roof project:
Roofing work is underway on both the Langdell north and south lower roofs over the classrooms, continuing through the look-ahead period.
During the week of June 21:
- Masonry repairs and restoration to the head house areas above the Langdell north and south roofs will begin.
- Ornamental grating will be removed for restoration from the upper Langdell roof locations.
During the week of June 28, roofing work will commence on Areeda Hall.
As previously mentioned, the Library is getting a new roof this year. This is very exciting news and will be wonderful when it is finished. Preparation for construction is in full swing at the north and south ends of Langdell Hall and Areeda Hall.
Because we expect there to be some noise, the research librarians will be summering at the Circulation Desk, around the corner nearest the Lemann Lounge. Bring us your research questions, challenging or mundane, and we will get them answered in this new location. We’ll be available our usual summer hours of Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm. After hours, check our Ask a Librarian site for frequently asked library and research questions with answers as well as additional ways to contact us.
A few more things to know about the roof project and noise mitigation efforts:
- Construction hours will generally be Monday through Saturday, 7am to 3pm, but may vary due to weather and other circumstances
- Over the summer most noise will occur over the Langdell North and South classrooms and Areeda Hall. We do not expect the Reading Room to be impacted during the summer.
- As there will be large cranes and equipment moving around, paths may periodically be blocked requiring the use of alternate routes.
- A limited number of noise-canceling headphones are available for check out at the Circulation Desk.
- Earplugs are available at both the circulation and reference desks.
Close observers may have noticed the scaffolding and yellow clips around the top of Langdell Hall. We’re excited to share the news that the reason for them is that the Library is planning for a new acquisition this summer in the form of a new roof for Langdell Hall. We’re very much looking forward to having a fresh covering to keep both our collection and our patrons well protected.
Construction will begin right after Commencement and is projected to finish around Thanksgiving. As you might guess, there will be some noise disruption involved with this project. As we get closer to the start of the project, we’ll post additional information about noise mitigation measures.