After ten years, we are saying goodbye to the Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Harvard Law School Library Digital Suite. We are hard at work creating a new digital experience using the Harvard Library CURIOSity platform. CURIOSity will provide a searching and browsing experience across all Holmes collections that will be more accessible and mobile friendly. We hope to debut this new digital collection by the end of 2023. In the meantime, you can still access all the Holmes digital content using HOLLIS for Archival Discovery (Harvard’s search platform for online archival finding aids) and HOLLIS Images (Harvard’s image catalog). Here’s how:
How can I access Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. digital content?
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. manuscript collections
- Using the links below you can go to the finding aids for each individual collection and keyword search or browse the contents.
- You can also search all Harvard Law School Library finding aids at once.
- The Holmes-Castletown correspondence link below provides the ability to keyword search across the entire Holmes-Castletown Correspondence.
Check out this guide to HOLLIS for Archival Discovery for information on how to get the most out of your search experience.
The John G. Palfrey (1875-1945) Collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. Papers, 1715-1938 [finding aid]
Mark De Wolfe Howe Research Materials Related to the Life of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., 1858-1968 [finding aid]
The Edward J. Holmes Collection of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Materials, 1853-1944 [finding aid]
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Addenda, 1818-1978 [finding aid]
Letters Written by Oliver Wendell Holmes to Lady Clare Castletown, 1896-1926
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. images and objects
All Holmes images and objects can be searched in HOLLIS Images. Here are links to popular image groups and search instructions.
- John Gorham Palfrey collection of photographs of Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes: Portraits of Holmes and group photographs of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Images of Oliver Wendell Holmes in the Harvard Law School Legal Portrait collection: Paintings, etchings, sculpture
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. object collection: Including furniture, medals, and Civil War uniform items
- Search the entire Holmes visual materials collection (600+ photographs, clippings, and drawings) using the following Advanced Search in HOLLIS Images:
Scope: Law School
Keyword anywhere, exact phrase “Holmes, Oliver Wendell”
Keyword anywhere, exact phrase “photographs and other images”
Check out these search tips for HOLLIS Images.