1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-89


Paul Martinson ’29 of New York City died March 20, 2004. A partner in litigation at Phillips Nizer Benjamin Krim and Ballon in New York City, he was co-counsel with Louis Nizer in Faulk v. Aware, a libel suit involving blacklisting in the television and radio industries. He was a director of Martinson’s Coffee Corp., a trustee of the New York Shakespeare Festival and a fellow of the Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies.


Bertram H. Siegeltuch ’31 of Williamstown, Mass., died Jan. 22, 2004. He was a general practitioner in Copake, N.Y. Earlier in his career, he practiced in New York City. He ran for Congress in 1948 and for justice of the Supreme Court of New York State in 1949.

Samuel S. Sagotsky ’32 of Freehold, N.J., died June 1, 2004. A solo practitioner, he specialized in municipal law in Freehold. He was a municipal judge for the Borough of Freehold and served as attorney for the Borough of Roosevelt and for Colts Neck Township’s Board of Adjustment.

Laurance S. Rockefeller ’32-’35 of New York City died July 11, 2004. A venture capitalist, conservationist and grandson of John D. Rockefeller, he was instrumental in establishing and enlarging national parks in Wyoming, California, the Virgin Islands, Vermont, Maine and Hawaii. He founded the American Conservation Association and advised every president since Dwight D. Eisenhower on policies of recreation, wilderness, preservation and ecology. In 1991, he was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. He invested in hundreds of startups, including McDonnell Aircraft Corp., Intel and Apple, and in the late 1930s he provided much of the capital to start Eastern Airlines. He founded Venrock Associates, an investment company and the venture capital arm of the Rockefeller family, and RockResorts, a luxury resort hotel company.

William C. Koplovitz ’33 of Washington, D.C., died May 9, 2004. For 34 years he had a private law practice, Dempsey and Koplovitz, in Washington, D.C., representing radio and television stations before the Federal Communications Commission. Earlier, he was general counsel of the Federal Power Commission and assistant general counsel of the FCC. He was board president of the Federal Communications Bar Association. After retiring from the law, he lived on the Costa del Sol in Spain for 13 years and helped found the American Club and a theatrical group. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Coast Guard’s legal department in Washington, D.C.

Charles D. Pennebaker Jr. ’33 of West Chester, Pa., died May 13, 2004. He worked for the federal government and was an attorney at law firms in New York City and Washington, D.C. For seven years he worked in the U.S. Department of Labor in the Office of the Solicitor. In 1942, he joined the U.S. Navy as a labor relations officer. He attained the rank of commander and served in the Bureau of Naval Yards and Docks.

Milton L. Rein ’33 of Gulfport, Fla., died March 20, 2004. He was a law clerk for the New York County Court before moving to Florida 28 years ago. He was president of the Masters Association of Town Shores and was on the city of Gulfport Planning and Zoning Commission and the Gulfport Library Foundation. He also served as a forum moderator at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg and co-wrote “Divorce or Marriage: A Legal Guide.”

Edward W. Watson ’33 of Winter Park, Fla., died Sept. 1, 2003. Formerly of Sewanee, Tenn., he was a partner and later of counsel at Eastham, Watson, Dale & Forney in Houston, before moving to Tennessee. He was legal counsel to the superintendent of leases and volunteered at the University of the South in Sewanee. He served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Naval Reserve.

Warren S. Adams II ’34 of Austin, Texas, died April 25, 2004. Formerly of New York City, he was senior vice president and general counsel for CPC International, a food manufacturing company. He retired from the company in 1976 and moved to Austin 10 years later. He was a director of the Washington Square Fund, a trustee of the Whitehall Foundation and president of the Metropolitan Opera Club. During WWII, he worked for the War Production Board in Washington, D.C., and later enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps, serving in the Pacific and attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Whitman Knapp ’34 of New York City died June 14, 2004. A federal judge for 30 years, he was named to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York by President Richard Nixon. In the early 1970s, he was chairman of a five-member commission, known as the Knapp Commission, that investigated widespread police corruption in New York City. In 1993, he joined 50 other federal judges who refused to preside over drug cases to protest drug policies and sentencing guidelines. In the 1930s and 1940s, he worked in private practice and in the Manhattan district attorney’s office.

George A. Saden ’34 of Bridgeport, Conn., died Feb. 25, 2003. He was a judge of the Superior Court in Connecticut. He was also a partner at Saden & Weiss in Bridgeport and served as U.S. commissioner for the District of Connecticut. In 1953 and 1954, he was assistant majority leader of the state senate, and in 1957 and 1958, he was state senate counsel. He was also a director of the Bridgeport Public Library. He served as a major in the U.S. Air Force.

Edward L. Schwartz ’34 of Weston, Mass., died May 25, 2004. He specialized in estates, corporate and real estate law as a solo practitioner in Weston and Boston. He was a life member of the ALI and the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform Laws.

Hiram L. Fong ’35 of Honolulu died Aug. 18, 2004. The first Asian-American elected to the U.S. Senate, he was a senator from 1959 to 1977. He was instrumental in the passage of the Immigration and Nationality Act Amendments of 1965. He began his political career in 1938 as a representative of the Hawaii Territorial Legislature, where he served 14 years, including three terms as House speaker. He later founded several companies, including Finance Factors. In 1970, he was the first Hawaii resident to receive the Horatio Alger Award from the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, for overcoming poverty to achieve outstanding success. In 1988, he established a 725-acre botanical garden on Oahu. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWII as a major and judge advocate.

Stanley Monroe Macey ’35-’36 of Burlingame, Calif., died Oct. 16, 2003. He was an adjunct professor at San Mateo County Community College, Cañada College campus, in Redwood City, where he taught courses on interior design. He also contributed to the development of the school’s kitchen and bath design certificate program.

Thomas H. Odell ’35-’36 of Green Valley, Ariz., died Dec. 26, 2003.

Jerome “Buddy” A. Cooper ’36 of Birmingham, Ala., died Oct. 14, 2003. A labor and civil rights lawyer, he was of counsel at Gardner, Middlebrooks, Gibbons, Kittrell & Olsen in Birmingham beginning in 1998. He was previously a senior partner at Cooper, Mitch, Crawford, Kuykendall & Whatley. He was a fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers and Birmingham-Southern College. From 1976 to 1978, he was a member of the Administrative Conference of the United States.

David McKibbin ’36 of West Covina, Calif., died Nov. 21, 2003. He was a professor emeritus of Pepperdine University School of Law in Malibu, Calif.

Herbert Peterfreund ’36 of San Diego died Jan. 8, 2004. He was Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of San Diego and the Frederick I. and Grace A. Stokes Professor of Law Emeritus at New York University School of Law. He co-wrote a casebook on New York practice in 1978 and served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

T. Raber Taylor ’37 of Denver died March 31, 2004. A Denver attorney, he devoted his time to cases involving religion, education and civil rights. He represented U.S. Air Force pilot Marlon Green, a black veteran, in a 1963 racial discrimination case against Continental Airlines before the U.S. Supreme Court. After the Court ruled in his favor, Green became the first black pilot to fly for a commercial airline. Active in charitable organizations of the Catholic Church, Taylor was named a knight of St. Gregory by Pope Paul VI in 1971. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in the Mediterranean.

William L. Fay ’38 of Jacksonville, Ill., died Jan. 18, 2004. He was a partner and later of counsel at Bellatti, Fay, Bellatti & Beard. During his career, he served as state attorney for Morgan County, city attorney for Jacksonville and secretary of the Jacksonville Airport Authority. In 1970, he was a delegate to the Illinois Constitutional Convention. He was a lifetime trustee of MacMurray College, where he received an honorary degree in 1991, and president of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis and the YMCA. He earlier practiced with Gardner Carton & Douglas in Chicago. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in the invasion of Sicily and headed an airborne training group at Russell Island in the South Pacific. He later was an aide to the commanding officer at Naval Air Station Glenview in Illinois and trained B-29 crews at bases in Kansas.

William Auerbach ’39 of New Rochelle, N.Y., died March 9, 2004. A lawyer for more than 60 years, he was a partner at Auerbach & Labes in New York City, specializing in labor relations.

John W. Barclay ’39 of Essex, Conn., died April 5, 2004. After graduating from HLS, he joined the family practice, Barclay and Barclay, which merged with Thompson, Weir and MacDonald in 1957 and became Thompson, Weir and Barclay. He continued to practice law into his 80s. During WWII, he served as an air combat intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Hornet in the Pacific.

W. Bitner Browne ’39 of Springfield, Ohio, died Nov. 1, 2003. A senior partner at Martin, Browne, Hull & Harper, he was a past president of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Ohio Bar Foundation. For 34 years, he was a director of Wittenberg University in Springfield. During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army in the European theater and received the Bronze Star.

Francis K. Buckley ’39 of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., died July 20, 2004. A lawyer for more than six decades, he began his law practice in Jacksonville and Tallahassee before moving to Fort Lauderdale in the early 1940s. Early in his career, he was with the Office of Price Administration in Washington, D.C., and Atlanta. He was president of the Broward County Bar Association, served as city attorney for Fort Lauderdale and was instrumental in establishing Holy Cross Hospital. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Nathan L. Halpern ’39 of New York City died April 3, 2004. A pioneer and business developer of closed-circuit television and satellite teleconferencing, he founded and was president of TNT Communications in New York City. In the 1940s, he was an assistant to CBS President William S. Paley. Early in his career, he worked for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, helped draft the Lend-Lease Act and was executive assistant to the director of the War Production Board. He was a trustee of the Central Park Conservancy, president of East Hampton Beach Preservation Society and the International Center of Photography, and a member of the corporation of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. During WWII, he was executive assistant to Secretary of the Navy James V. Forrestal. He joined the Office of Strategic Services, participated in the planning of D-Day and was executive assistant to the director of U.S. Information Services in France.

Charles W. Herald ’39 of Pittsburgh died July 5, 2004. He practiced law in Allegheny County for more than 60 years. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.

Sido L. Ridolfi ’39 of Trenton, N.J., died May 9, 2004. A New Jersey state senator from 1954 to 1972, he served as minority and majority leader, president of the Senate and acting governor. Earlier in his career, he was sheriff of Mercer County and Trenton city commissioner. He served in the U.S. Armed Forces during WWII.

Robert B. Throckmorton LL.M. ’39 of Des Moines, Iowa, died April 15, 2004. A partner with Dickinson, Throckmorton, Parker, Mannheimer & Raife in Des Moines, he also served as counsel for the Iowa Medical Society beginning in 1955 and as general counsel to the American Medical Association in Chicago from 1963 to 1965. Early in his career, he was an attorney in the Office of the General Counsel in the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C., served in the War Relocation Authority in San Francisco beginning in 1941 and taught at Drake Law School. He was the attorney for the Methodist Church of Iowa and served as chancellor of the Iowa Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. During WWII, he served as a naval officer aboard the USS Gleaves in the Mediterranean.


Alan J. Dimond ’40 of Newton, Mass., died July 1, 2004. An associate justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court, he was appointed to the bench in 1969 by Gov. Francis Sargent. He was chief of the administrative division of the state attorney general’s office and worked at a number of Boston law firms. He also taught at Northeastern University, lectured at MIT’s Sloan School of Management and was an associate editor at the Massachusetts Law Quarterly. He was author of “The Superior Court of Massachusetts: Its Origin and Development,” published in 1960. In the 1940s, he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps.

Edward J. Duggan ’40 of Scituate, Mass., died Aug. 10, 2004. Formerly of West Roxbury, he was senior counsel at Lyne, Woodworth & Evarts in Boston. He was a public defender for more than 50 years and helped write the legislation that created the state’s public defender agency, the Committee for Public Counsel Services. In 1990, he received the Arthur von Briesen award from the National Legal Aid and Defender Association. In 1988, the Committee for Public Counsel Services named an award in his honor. During WWII, he was a special agent for the FBI.

Marshall M. Goodsill ’40 of Honolulu died July 24, 2004. A corporate securities and tax lawyer, he practiced law in Hawaii for more than five decades. He was a partner and later of counsel at Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel and advocated the use of tax-exempt bonds in Hawaii to help raise funds to develop key industries. He and his wife established an endowment fund at the University of Hawaii’s law school focused on business, trust and tax law. During WWII, he was an intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy in Germany and Japan. He received the Bronze Star, the Order of the British Empire and the Victory Medal.

William A. Bader ’40-’41 of Merritt Island, Fla., died Jan. 7, 2003.

Bernard R. Baker II ’41 of West Palm Beach, Fla., died June 16, 2004. Formerly of Toledo, Ohio, he was president and later chairman of the B.R. Baker Co., a men’s clothing retailer in Toledo. He also was a partner at Brown, Baker, Schlageter & Craig. For nearly 30 years, he was secretary of The Blade, Toledo’s daily newspaper. He served on many civic boards and headed many Toledo-area organizations, including the Toledo Area Chamber of Commerce, St. Vincent Hospital Advisory Board and the Toledo-Lucas County Safety Council. During WWII, he served as an officer in the U.S. Navy for two tours of duty in the Pacific. He retired as a lieutenant commander.

James L. Coombs ’41 of Sistersville, W.Va., died April 26, 2004. After retiring from the practice of law, he took up farming at Long Creek Farm in Sistersville.

Mark J. Dalton ’41 of South Woodstock, Vt., died May 1, 2004. A Boston attorney for 50 years and a political aide to John F. Kennedy, he played a historic role in the D-Day landing. On June 6, 1944, as a U.S. Navy lieutenant, he sent an intelligence report, under heavy shellfire, from Utah Beach in Normandy to an offshore Navy vessel with the message, “Landings can be made anywhere on Red Beach … obstacles are no longer obstacles.” He was campaign manager for John F. Kennedy during his run for the U.S. House of Representatives in 1946 and later served as an adviser to and speechwriter for Kennedy. In 1954, he made an unsuccessful bid in Massachusetts for the U.S. Senate. Early in his career, he was an attorney with the Office of Price Administration in Washington, D.C. He received four battle stars and the Navy’s Commendation Medal for his service in France, the Pacific, the Lingayen Gulf and Okinawa, Japan, during WWII. He also served in China and Korea at the end of the war.

Thomas F. Maher ’41 of Arlington, Mass., died April 10, 2004. Formerly of Watertown, he was a corporate law attorney. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII and received the American Campaign Medal and the WWII Victory Medal.

James F. Hosna ’41-’42 of Chicago died July 27, 2003.

John K. McCormick ’42 of Buffalo, N.Y., died March 18, 2003. He practiced at Phillips Lytle Hitchcock Blaine & Huber in Buffalo.

Ralph H. Willard Jr. ’42 of Concord, Mass., died May 3, 2004. He specialized in litigation and municipal law as a partner at Weston Patrick Willard & Redding in Boston. He was counsel for the Belmont School Committee for almost 20 years and president of the Roxbury Home for Aged Women.

Emanuel G. Weiss ’44 of Wyncote, Pa., died Feb. 27, 2004. He was a solo practitioner in Philadelphia, working mainly in real estate law. He was president of the Phi Beta Kappa Association of Philadelphia and treasurer of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Orchid Society. His award-winning photography appeared in Horticulture Magazine.

Max Goldenberg LL.M. ’45 of Marina Del Rey, Calif., died Sept. 4, 2003. He practiced at Morse Goldenberg & Morse in Beverly Hills.

Lester Gross ’45-’46 of Columbia, S.C., died Feb. 10, 2004. He was a founder and president of the International Urban Development Association, with headquarters in the Netherlands. He was president of the U.S. League of New Community Developers and national trustee of the Urban Land Institute. For 30 years he was involved with cultural institutions in South Carolina, including the Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities, Main Street Jazz Foundation and Carolina ArtReach. He received the Elizabeth O’Neill Verner Governor’s Award for the Arts from the South Carolina Arts Commission for outstanding contributions to the arts and the state’s highest award for community service, the Order of the Silver Crescent. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps, attaining the rank of major.

Walter H. Wager ’46 of New York City died July 11, 2004. He was an author who wrote 25 novels and several works of nonfiction. Most of his books published in the 1960s were written under the pseudonym John Tiger. Three of his novels were turned into the movies “Telefon,” “Twilight’s Last Gleaming” and the box-office hit “Die Hard 2.” He was national executive vice president and secretary of the Mystery Writers of America. He was also an editor in chief of Playbill; a public relations consultant for the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers; and a director of public information for the University of Bridgeport, Conn. Early in his career, he was an aviation consultant for the Israeli government and worked for the United Nations editing documents.

George J. Adriance ’46-’49 of Princeton, N.J., died Dec. 5, 2003. For more than 30 years, he was an investment adviser at Clark, Dodge and Co., an investment brokerage firm, which later became Tucker Anthony & R.L. Day in Princeton. Earlier in his career, he was a loan officer for Irving Trust Co. and worked for Princeton Bank and Trust. He served in the U.S. Army’s 104th Infantry Division during WWII and received the Bronze Star.

A. Albert Shapiro ’47 of Rotterdam, N.Y., died July 24, 2004. For nearly 30 years, he was owner of his father’s business, Economy Electric Supply Co. In 1977, he was named commissioner of finance for Schenectady County, a position he held until his retirement in 1988. While at HLS, he helped draft the preamble to the United Nations Charter. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy on the USS San Juan.

John V.W. Zaugg ’47 of San Mateo, Calif., died June 2, 2004. He was vice president and a trust officer of Wells Fargo Bank in San Francisco. He was a founder and officer of the Western Pension Conference and a director of the San Francisco Estate Planning Council. He was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Richard O. Aldrich ’48 of Wellesley, Mass., died May 23, 2004. He was vice president and senior officer of John Hancock Mutual Life in Boston. Before joining the company in 1956, he worked at the Boston law firm Tyler & Reynolds. He was chairman of the Wellesley Board of Appeals and a longtime town meeting member. During WWII, he served on the USS Cowie as a lieutenant with the U.S. Navy. After the war, he served as commanding officer for a Naval Reserve unit and taught courses at the Boston Naval Reserve Officers School, retiring from the Reserve in 1978 as a captain.

Philip G. Cole ’48 of Vero Beach, Fla., died March 31, 2004. He practiced law in New York and Colorado and founded Love & Cole in Colorado Springs with John Love, who later became governor of Colorado. Cole was a commissioner of higher education for the state of Colorado, helped found the Colorado Springs School, and was assistant to the dean and lectured in economics at Colorado College. He also served on the boards of a number of organizations, including the Lake Placid Education Foundation, the Northwood School in Lake Placid and the Cell Science Center. During WWII, he served in the Pacific as an officer with the U.S. Army.

Leonard A. Drexler ’48 of New York City died April 21, 2004. A longtime resident of Greenwich Village and general practitioner, he practiced law in New York City for 50 years. He was an arbitrator appointed by the superintendent of the New York State Insurance Department to try automobile disputes and served on the panel of the American Arbitration Association of New York.

John A. King Jr. ’48 of Miami died April 17, 2004. He worked at the World Bank in Washington, D.C., and practiced corporate management and economic development.

Ray F. Myers Jr. ’48 of Carmel, Calif., died March 18, 2004. He was executive vice president and general counsel to Continental Bank in Chicago.

Ogden Williams ’48 of Ipswich, Mass., died March 30, 2004.

Edgar C. Leonhardt ’48-’49 of Fultonville, N.Y., died April 9, 2004. He practiced law at Leonhardt & Kruger in Fultonville.

Howard A. Carlton ’49 of Elburn, Ill., died July 26, 2004. He worked in the securities business as the solo proprietor of a family-held company, F.A. Carlton & Co. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in the New Guinea and Philippines campaigns.

Charles E. Clapp II ’49 of Duxbury, Mass., died June 16, 2004. Formerly of Providence, R.I., he was a federal tax judge from 1983 to 1998 and a partner at Edwards & Angell in Providence. He served on the Barrington, R.I., Town Council and was a director of the United Way of Rhode Island and a trustee of St. Andrew’s School in Barrington. He was president of the Narragansett Council of Boy Scouts of America and earned the council’s highest honor, the Silver Beaver, for volunteerism. From 1944 to 1946, he served on the USS Okanogan as a U.S. Navy lieutenant. He also served during the Korean War.

Joseph R. Schurman ’49 of Chevy Chase, Md., died April 11, 2004. He was general counsel for the National Endowment for the Humanities. He helped draft the Arts and Artifacts Indemnity Act of 1975. After retiring from the NEH in 1982, he was in private practice in New York and Washington, D.C. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney with the Army Department and for the National Science Foundation. During WWII, he served as a cryptographer with the Office of Strategic Services in England and France.

Albert H. Swett ’49 of Rochester, N.Y., died Sept. 2, 2003.


Salisbury Adams ’50 of Wilson, Wyo., died March 21, 2004. He was vice president of Congdon Office Corp. in Jackson.

Kelley Archer ’50 of Bellaire, Ohio, died July 9, 2004. He was a solo practitioner in Bridgeport, Ohio, focused on estate planning and probate law.

Julius H. Berg ’50 of St. Louis died Oct. 22, 2003. He was a solo practitioner in the area of real property law in St. Louis.

Samuel Dash ’50 of Washington, D.C., died May 29, 2004. He was chief counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee and was known for his interrogations of White House officials during televised hearings about President Nixon’s secret taping system and other aspects of the Watergate scandal. For nearly four decades, he was a professor at Georgetown University Law Center. He was also director of its Institute of Criminal Law and Procedure. From 1994 to 1998, he served as the ethics adviser to independent counsel Kenneth Starr during the Whitewater investigation of President Clinton. He resigned in protest, charging that Starr had become an “aggressive advocate” for impeaching Clinton, and helped draft the independent counsel law aimed at assuring impartial investigation of issues involving the executive branch. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII, flying reconnaissance missions over Italy.

Charles T. Duncan ’50 of Annapolis, Md., died May 4, 2004. He was corporation counsel for the District of Columbia during the 1968 riots in Washington, D.C., and dean of Howard University School of Law in the 1970s. He later worked for Reid & Priest in Washington, D.C., and in 1994, he was appointed to the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands. Along with Thurgood Marshall, he contributed to one of the briefs in support of the appellants in the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1954 Brown v. Board of Education case, and in 1965, he was the first general counsel of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He was a trustee of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and the Supreme Court Historical Society and was a director of several companies, including Procter & Gamble and Eastman Kodak. He served in the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1945 to 1946.

McChesney H. Jeffries ’50 of Atlanta died Feb. 14, 2004. He was a partner with the Atlanta law firms of Jones Day Reavis & Pogue and Hansell and Post, specializing in corporate practice and banking and fiduciary matters. He was chairman of the Georgia Commission on Continuing Lawyer Competency and the corporate and banking section of the State Bar of Georgia. He was also president of the Lawyers Club of Atlanta. During WWII, he was an infantry lieutenant in the European theater.

Marshall J. Seidman ’50 LL.M. ’70 of Fort Myers, Fla., died May 18, 2004. He was a professor and associate dean at Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis until his retirement in 1990. He also was an arbitrator and contract judge of industrial disputes. In 2000, he established the Marshall J. Seidman Teaching and Research Fund in Health Care Policy at Harvard Medical School.

Denton A. Shriver ’50 of Norristown, Pa., died June 6, 2004. He was vice president and secretary of Safeguard Scientifics in Philadelphia from 1968 to 1982. Previously, he was general counsel and executive vice president of Vanadium Corporation of America.

A. Leonard Bjorklund Jr. ’51 of San Rafael, Calif., died May 24, 2004. A longtime Marin County criminal defense attorney, he worked as a solo practitioner in Sausalito and, in the 1980s, joined Myers, Praetzel and Garety in San Rafael. After completing U.S. Naval Reserve midshipman training in 1945, he served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater on the island of Saipan. After graduating from HLS, he handled court-martial cases in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps in Japan.

Harry P. Haveles ’51 of Newton, Mass., died July 13, 2004. Formerly of Brookline, he was a general practitioner at Haveles and Kaplan in Boston.

Russell P. Herrold Jr. ’51 of Columbus, Ohio, died July 17, 2004. A partner at Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease, he was a 50-year member of the Columbus and American bar associations. He was president of the Columbus Visiting Nurses Association and on the boards of Volunteers of America, Friendship Village of Columbus and Friendship Village of Dublin. A national director of the Classic Car Club of America, he was president of the club’s museum in Hickory Corners, Mich. He served as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWII.

Max O. Regensteiner ’51 of Rockville, Md., died April 30, 2004. For 20 years, he was an administrative law judge for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. In the 1950s, he was an editor for the Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Co. in Rochester, N.Y., before joining the SEC as a staff lawyer. He volunteered his time to several organizations, including the Jewish Social Services Agency, Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic, and Parents of North American Israelis. A native of Munich, Germany, during WWII he served in the U.S. Army as an interrogator of captured German soldiers.

Emmanuel “Manny” Savitch ’51 of La Jolla, Calif., died July 14, 2004. A land-use and business specialist, he had practiced at the firm now known as Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves and Savitch since 1959 and represented many of the landowners and developers who transformed Mission Valley from an agricultural area to a retail center. He was an officer of several Jewish organizations and received the Learned Hand Award from the San Diego chapter of the American Jewish Committee in 1996. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.

William J. Kelly ’52 of Erie, Pa., died Jan. 20, 2004. He was a founding partner of Elderkin, Martin, Kelly & Messina in Erie and a partner with Sage Grey Todd & Simms in New York. From 1966 to 1977, he supervised the Erie office of the U.S. Bureau of Consumer Protection and was a special assistant to the attorney general of Pennsylvania. A trustee of Villa Maria College and Gannon University, he also was president of Erie Marriage Counseling Services. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII and was a recruiting liaison officer for the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Gordon L. Poole ’52 of San Francisco died July 7, 2004. A maritime and corporate finance attorney at Nixon Peabody, he joined the firm, formerly known as Lillick & Charles, in 1955. In the early 1960s, he headed the Washington, D.C., office, and he served as chairman of the management committee in the 1980s. Earlier in his career, he practiced at Treadwell & Laughlin in San Francisco. From 1944 to 1947, he served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army in Korea.

Frank L. Jones Jr. ’52-’53 of West Yarmouth, Mass., died Jan. 22, 2004.

Clark A. Barrett ’53 of Foster City, Calif., died May 1, 2004. A solo practitioner in San Mateo, he specialized in real estate, business litigation and probate matters. He was a Foster City city councilman, a co-founder of Foster City Friends of the Library and a director of the Peninsula Ballet Theatre. He taught summer seminars on Shakespeare at Oxford University and self-published four books of poetry. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War and was stationed in San Francisco.

Stanley N. Nissel ’53 of Hamden, Conn., died Aug. 1, 2004. He was deputy general counsel for logistics for the Department of the Army, with expertise in government contracting. He began his civil service career in 1957 as an attorney in the general counsel’s office for the Department of the Navy. In 1982, he received the presidential rank award as a meritorious executive. He retired from the U.S. Army in 1986 and was then associate general counsel for United Technologies Corp. in Hartford. From 1953 to 1955, he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps.

Austin B. Noble ’53 of Montpelier, Vt., died Feb. 19, 2004. He practiced law as a solo practitioner in Montpelier. Beginning in 1958, he served three and a half years as commissioner of taxes for Vermont. He was a trustee of Vermont Law School, the Vermont Historical Society and the Gary Home for the Aged, and a director of Vermont National Bank and Vermont Mutual Insurance Co.

Samuel M. McMillan ’54 of Mobile, Ala., died April 3, 2004. He was a partner at Inge McMillan Adams Coley & Ledyard in Mobile.

Robert W. Wright ’54 of Harvard, Ill., died Aug. 8, 2004. A senior partner at Keck, Mahin and Cate in Chicago, he specialized in mergers and acquisitions. He joined the firm when it was known as MacLeish, Spray, Price and Underwood. He served as village trustee and president of Kenilworth, Ill., and was a member of the New Trier Township Mental Health Advisory Board.

Ralph Graham Wilmot Jr. ’56 of Larvik, Norway, died July 30, 2003. Formerly of Bainbridge Island, Wash., he was a labor/management arbitrator in Washington.

Benjamin R. Wolman ’56 of Mitchellville, Md., died May 22, 2004. He practiced law in Upper Marlboro, Md., from 1964 until the time of his death and taught criminal justice at the University of Maryland. In the 1960s, he was a prosecutor in the Prince George’s County state’s attorney’s office. Known for his work defending police officers, he helped draft a 1974 Maryland law informally known as the “policemen’s bill of rights.” He also served on the state’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. During the Korean War, he flew 52 missions as a bombardier and navigator in the U.S. Air Force. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal.

Stephan M. Mandel ’57-’58 of Hillsdale, N.Y., died May 15, 2004. He was president of Sumner Stores Corp., a chain of family apparel stores in the South and Southwest, and president of the Columbia County Historical Society.

Alan L. Lefkowitz ’58 of Cambridge, Mass., died May 13, 2004. A corporate lawyer for nearly 50 years, he was a managing partner and of counsel of the Boston office of Dechert Price & Rhoads, now known as Dechert. He was previously a partner at Gaston & Snow. Active in several associations, he served as chairman of the Cambridge Rent Control Board, was a member of the Cambridge Civic Association and was on the Mayor’s Committee for Harvard Square. He was also a founding member of the Appleseed Foundation. He served two years in the U.S. Navy.

Stephen Holeva III ’58-’59 of Escondido, Calif., died May 8, 2003. He was a financial planner and insurance broker.

John E. Seth ’58-’59 of Miami died March 2, 2003. He was a lawyer at McGuire & Collias in Fall River, Mass.

Raeburn B. Hathaway Jr. ’59 of Chatham, Mass., died Nov. 26, 2003. He was senior vice president, corporate secretary and head of government relations for John Hancock Mutual Life in Boston.

Edward R. Schwartz ’59 of Livingston, N.J., died Oct. 13, 2003. He was a judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey.


G. Donald Gerlach ’60 of Pittsburgh died May 25, 2004. An estate attorney, he was managing partner at Reed Smith Shaw & McClay in Pittsburgh for eight years. When he retired in 1999, he was awarded the firm’s most prestigious honor, the Shaw’s Lion Award. He was active in local charities, including the Outreach Program at First Lutheran Church of Pittsburgh, where he counseled the city’s homeless and indigent. He was a director of the admissions committee of the Duquesne Club, president of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Club of Pittsburgh and vice chairman of community initiatives for the United Way of Allegheny County. He served as a first lieutenant with the 1st Cavalry Division of the U.S. Army and was stationed in Japan.

Richard J. Birch ’61 of New London, N.H., died June 6, 2004. Formerly of Wellesley, Mass., he was a patent and trademark attorney for 41 years and practiced with Birch, Gauthier & Samuels in Boston before opening his own practice in 1987. A longtime community activist, he was a Wellesley town meeting member for 24 years and was on the town’s Board of Public Works in the 1970s, serving as its chair during the blizzard of ’78. In New Hampshire, he served on the town of New London’s Sewer Commission and was a member of the citizen’s advisory committee.

Robert H. Neuman ’61 of Kiawah Island, S.C., died Feb. 15, 2004. Formerly of Potomac, Md., he practiced international law and arbitration as a partner at Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn in Washington, D.C.

William T. Reynolds ’61 of West Stockbridge, Mass., died Oct. 20, 2003. He was vice president, general counsel and secretary of Axel Johnson in New York City.

Anthony “Tony” J. Hope ’65 of Washington, D.C., and Hilton Head, S.C., died June 28, 2004. A Washington, D.C., lawyer and the son of the late entertainer Bob Hope, he was head of the National Indian Gaming Commission. He was appointed by President George H.W. Bush and continued to serve for five years of the Clinton administration. He also served on commissions under Presidents Ford and Carter. In 1986, he made an unsuccessful bid for a congressional seat in California. In the private sector, he represented the accounting firm Touche Ross & Co. and Mutual of Omaha Insurance. He served on boards for several organizations, including Mount Vernon College, the National USO, the National Theatre and his family’s foundation, the Bob and Dolores Hope Charitable Foundation. Earlier in his career, he was director of business affairs at 20th Century Fox. He served in the U.S. Air Force.

Harry D. Page ’65 of Sausalito, Calif., died April 29, 2004. He was executive vice president and general counsel for General Steamship International in Mill Valley.

Paul W. Putney ’65 of Philadelphia died June 4, 2004. An attorney with Dechert in Philadelphia since graduating from HLS, he was managing partner in the firm’s New York office from 1987 to 1994. He founded the Old Pine Community Center and was named Trustee of the Year by the Pennsylvania Association for Non-Profit Homes for the Aging for his service as a director of PresbyHomes & Services. He served on the PresbyHomes board for 25 years and helped start nine housing projects for low-income seniors.

Douglas A. Nadeau ’66 of Marblehead, Mass., died April 23, 2004. He practiced at Hale and Dorr in Boston and later with Hogan & Hartson in Washington, D.C. In the early 1970s, he became a founding partner at Finnegan, Stanzler and Nadeau in Boston. He also organized several state representative campaigns. In 1995, 10 years after contracting encephalitis, he retired from the practice of law. He pursued an interest in art and began to heed a long-held desire to become a woman. He joined a transgender advocacy group, the International Foundation for Gender Education, and was scheduled to begin hormone treatments.

Yuichi Takano ’66-’67 of Tokyo died March 25, 2004. He was a law professor at Sophia (Jochi) University in Tokyo.

Cliff G. Russell ’69 of Ambler, Pa., died July 27, 2004. He was vice president and general counsel of Environmental Tectonics Corp. in Southampton. Earlier in his career, he was an environmental and energy specialist with Starfield & Payne in Fort Washington, Pa., and an energy lawyer at the Department of Energy and Hogan & Hartson in Washington, D.C. He practiced poverty law with VISTA in Seattle and served with distinction in the U.S. Army’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where, among other postings, he was assigned to the office of the secretary of the Army.

Ilhan Ozer ’69-’70 of Istanbul, Turkey, died April 17, 2004. He was a financial inspector and a civil servant, serving on the financial research board for the Ministry of Finance in Ankara. He wrote more than 30 books and 300 articles on economics.


Dominique Blanco LL.M. ’70 of Paris and Corsica, France, died July 5, 2003. He was a lawyer specializing in international contract negotiations and a professor of international business and contract law at the Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris. He also was a visiting professor at Duke Law School in North Carolina and at Facolta di Giurisprudenza della Universita di Urbino in Italy. He wrote a book on international contracts and was a fellow of the French National Institute of Advanced Defense Studies.

Paul G. Garrity LL.M. ’71 of Boston died Aug. 21, 2004. He was a principal at ADR Solutions, an alternative dispute resolution firm in Boston, and, for more than 10 years, was a judge for the Massachusetts Superior Court in Boston. His rulings had a historic impact on the city’s public housing and Boston Harbor when, in 1979, he put the Boston Housing Authority into receivership to improve conditions in public housing and, in 1984, he mandated the cleanup of Boston Harbor, which spurred the legislature to create the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority. He was honorary chairman of Save the Harbor/Save the Bay and president of the Greater Boston Symphony Orchestra. He served in the U.S. Army in Germany, attaining the rank of captain.

Robert C. Alexander ’72 of Larkspur, Calif., died July 25, 2004. He was a longtime partner at Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe in San Francisco, joining the firm in 1974 and serving as chairman of its national tax practice. In 1986, he took a two-year leave of absence to work with a San Francisco-based real estate developer and a U.S. financial intermediary affiliated with Japan’s Nomura Securities. He was the son of Donald C. Alexander ’48.

Frank D. Stimley ’73 of Madison, Miss., died April 24, 2004. A corporate finance attorney specializing in public finance, he was a partner at Wise Carter Child Steen and Caraway in Jackson before opening his own firm in 1982, where he practiced with his sister, Pernila “Penny” Stimley Brown ’71. He was one of the first African-American lawyers in Mississippi to receive recognition for handling financial transactions exceeding $1 billion. His brother, the late Sherman Stimley ’74, received this same recognition in Texas. Frank Stimley provided legal assistance to a number of charitable organizations, including the Farish Street Redevelopment Project.

Joseph D. Shine ’74 of Columbia, S.C., died Sept. 10, 2003. He was general counsel of Westinghouse Savannah River Co. in Aiken and previously served as general counsel of the South Carolina Budget & Control Board. Earlier in his career, he was attorney for the city of Charleston and director of ethics for the U.S. General Services Administration in Washington, D.C. He was president of the South Carolina Bar Association Foundation and chairman of the board of directors of the South Carolina Centers for Equal Justice. The second African-American graduate of the Citadel, he was a director of the Citadel Foundation, and just prior to his death, he was named to the Citadel’s board of visitors by South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford. He served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force in the Office of General Counsel at the Pentagon.


David Florendo ’86 of Flushing, N.Y., died Nov. 6, 2003. He was assistant general counsel for Philip Morris Management Corp. in New York City and the lead singer of the band The Arcade Love Machine.

Justin L. Johnson ’86 of Atlanta died Aug. 21, 2004. Formerly of Pittsburgh, he was counsel for Atlanta Life Financial Group. He previously had worked as an assistant city attorney for Atlanta, attorney for Resolution Trust Corp., counsel for Turner Broadcasting System and associate with Alston & Bird in Atlanta. A member of the ABA and Atlanta’s Gate City Bar Association, he also was involved with several charitable organizations, including 100 Black Men of Atlanta, the Atlanta Children’s Shelter and the Jones/Carver Boys and Girls Club. In Pittsburgh, he served on a civil service commission and was named one of 20 people to watch by a local newspaper in 1988.